After investing in the clean energy of an Electric Vehicle, EV Owners must next consider what EV home charging station they should go with. EV charging station companies are growing daily around the nation.
Likewise, there is no shortage of home charging stations to choose from. With the popularity of electric vehicles, EV owners looking for an EV charger are likely to come against a large number of options to chose from. With the increase in demand has come a large growth in supply!
Commercial EV charging station installation will often require EV charging station contractors. Thankfully, this is not the case for home options! Often, these involve simple processes of plugging into an outlet and nothing more.
Sometimes, they require larger currents or the installation of a stronger charging port. The lack of a proper outlet is the only thing that could lead to further need for installation.
Let’s go through some of the things that come into play when looking at home charging stations below. After, we’ll hit you with our top 5 choices on the market today!
What to Consider
There are several factors to take into account when considering charging solutions. Before choosing the option that works best for you, it may be wise to consider the following factors beforehand:
- Level 1 or Level 2 Chargers – Manufacturers and dealers typically include a level 1 charger with new purchases. This is a 120v charger that can plug into any outlet and will usually provide a full charge in 17-25 hours. Level 2 chargers, by contrast, only require about 4-5 hours for a full charge.
- Power – Chargers come in a variety of different power levels. For most, a 40amp charger is highly recommended. It’s almost never wise to go less than 32amp for an EV charger.
- Length of Charging Cable – Are you parking your car in a garage or the driveway? Are you near a power source or far away from one? Knowing these facts ahead of time can help ensure that you don’t wind up purchasing a product that is wrong for your specific needs.
- Size of Charger – How much room do you have to store your charger? Some of the options for wall-mounted chargers can get quite bulky but others are quite slim.
- Ease of Use – Do you want a solution you can plug into the wall and forget about? Does it need to be mobile or can it be stationary? Knowing the features that you’ll need in your specific case helps to make sure that you are getting the best option for you.
- Timers/Smart Charging – Some charging options can schedule charging times to be on off-peak moments. Smart-charging options include the ability to control from an app, turning off when the car is fully charged, and more.
- Weatherproof – Not every EV owner has a garage they can put their car in. If your charger is constantly exposed to the elements, weatherproofing is essential to ensure its longevity.
- Hardwired or Plugged In – Most current offerings are ones that plug into the wall. Early models were mostly hardwired into the homes of their users. Today, only a few on the market offer this.
These important factors can greatly ease your search. By knowing the priorities you want to seek out, the search can narrow considerably.
The Top 5 Providers of EV Home Charging Stations
There are a lot of providers out there that offer a tremendous number of offerings. When starting your search, it is easy to find yourself faced with so many choices that “analysis paralysis” kicks in. To make this process easier, keep your desires from above in mind and start your search with these great options:
Grizzl-E makes nearly indestructible home charging solutions. They have an adjustable current output, 24ft cable, and portable design which makes them the best option for many homeowners. Installation is a simple process and they offer 3 and 5-year warranty options.
Level 2 charger options range in price from $459-$559.
Wolfbox is primarily known for its work in dashcams and backup cameras for cars. Their level 2 home-charger isn’t even available on their website but it’s a powerhouse at an amazing price.
At just $299 for the 32amp and $359 for the 40amp, Wolfbox offers many of the same benefits as chargers that are much more expensive. Users can still schedule charging, adjust currents, schedule charging, and more.
While technically waterproof, they do ask that owners don’t leave the box or charging port in the rain.
With five different options ranging in price from $299 – $799, Primecom has something for everyone. All options are universally compatible with EVs but vary greatly in the features available. Primecom offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and 24/7 technical support.
Most people are already familiar with Blink EV Chargers in one way or another. They have a large number of charging stations available throughout the country. In addition to this, they offer the Blink HQ 150 EV charger, a home level 2 charging option.
Available for $449, this charger installs with ease and offers reliable charging for homeowners. Each charger has a 25ft cable to ensure that you can reach your vehicle from most placements.
Leviton produces high-quality home and commercial EV chargers. As the residential side goes, homeowners can choose between four different options. These can range in price from $626 to over $1,800 so you can expect a good amount of differential in the features here.
Having a large number of offerings like that usually means that there’s something there for everyone. With Leviton, the price may be a limiting factor in this, however, since their low end still starts quite high.
The ability to charge your car from home is one of the coolest factors of an electric vehicle. It’s not like you could put an oil field in your backyard to ever make something like this possible with gas-powered cars.
EV owners are able to take the energy for their cars into their own hands through home charging stations. While the need for infrastructure is very necessary, charging stations at home is important. The growing number of options and range of prices increase the availability of EVs exponentially.
That’s why Narya offers an EV charger comparison tool! Check out the many different options on the market and find the one that is best for you!